929 Oak Hill Road,
Cumberland, VA 23040
Phone: (804) 492-4410
Less than an hour west of Richmond and nestled in the heart of Cumberland
State Forest, Bear Creek Lake is the perfect getaway for the outdoor enthusiast.
Activities center on the park's 40-acre lake complete with a boat launch,
fishing pier, boat rentals and swimming beach. The park offers camping,
an archery range, lakeside picnicking, bike rentals, playgrounds, hiking
and access to a 14-mile multi-use trail in the state forest.
The park is surrounded by the 16,000-acre Cumberland State Forest, which
provides opportunities for a wide range of outdoor activities. Four small
lakes in the state forest are managed by the Department of Game and Inland
Fisheries for recreational fishing. A network of gated and ungated forest
roads provides hiking, mountain biking and nature observation. Note: There
is no cell phone signal in the park. A pay phone is located in Campground
The park is about 4.5 miles northwest of the town of Cumberland. From
U.S. Route 60, go west on Route 622 and south on Route 629 to the park
None; 14-mile trail for horses for day-use only (bring your own horse).
Hiking; no bicycle trails, however horses and bicycles allowed on multi-use
hiking trail. The park also provides access to the Willis River Trail,
a 16-mile long trail winding through the surrounding area. The 14-mile
Cumberland Multi-use Trail also is available for bicyles, horses and hikers
(this trail does not loop back into the park and is located Virginia Department
of Forestry property). NOTE: The entire
Lost Barr Trail is closed because of cabin construction at the park. Please
call the park, (804) 492-4410, for details.
Bear Creek Lake was built in 1938 as a project of the Virginia Department
of Agriculture through the State Forestry Division. Although this project
was undertaken during the closing days of the Great Depression, the 100
men who built the lake were not members of the Civilian Conservation Corps.
They were simply carpenters, farmers and unskilled laborers seeking jobs.
Along with the lake, these men built two pavilions, a concession stand
and six fireplaces. The land was given to the Division of State Parks
in 1940, and it was operated as a day-use recreation area. In 1962 the
division added campgrounds and the area's name was changed to Bear Creek
Lake State Park.
For maps and more information: