Texas: Brazos Bend State Park|
Posted on Saturday, January 20 @ 00:00:00 MST by iljiana
21901 FM 762
Needville TX 77461
20 primitive equestrian campsites are located at the trailhead of the 14-mile
equestrian/multiple-use trail system. The campground is located under
of pecan trees and each site has a picnic table. Some sites have a campfire
ring. Electricity, water and restrooms facilities are not provided at the campsite.
for horses is available.
Brazos Bend State Park, approximately 28 miles southwest of Houston,
covers roughly 5000 acres, with an eastern boundary of 3.2 miles fronting
on the Brazos River on the southeast border of Fort Bend County. This was
the area of Texas' first Anglo colonization. It was purchased by the state
in 1976-77 and was opened to the public in 1984.
Archeological materials show that prehistoric people visited this area,
possibly as early as 300 BC; in early historical times, the Capoque band
of the Karankawa Indians roamed between the mouth of the Brazos River and
Galveston Bay and may have traveled inland as far as Brazos Bend. In the
early 19th century, this area of Texas was the site of Stephen F. Austin's
first colonial land grant from Mexico, and present park land was included
in a grant to Abner Harris and a partner named William Barrett in 1827. Most
of riverfront was sold shortly after the Texas Revolution, and records show
that in 1845, part of the park and 2400 feet of river frontage were in the
hands of cotton brokers who lived in Brazoria. At the time, the Brazos River
was one of the principal routes of commerce, and it may be that the brokerage
firm used the area for one of its riverboat landings. In recent times, the
land on which the park is located was used for cattle grazing, pecan harvesting,
and as a private hunting preserve
For more information: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/brazos_bend/.